Saturday, February 15, 2014

Smoldering love affair.


Today is Valentines Day, the day of love, adoration, butterflies and devotion. I am happy to announce that I have a new love in my life, and I have found all that. Someone or rather something that makes me weak at the knees, ignites my core, makes my head all woozy, and sets me free. 

We've had a rocky relationship up until now, call it more of a hit and run booty call if you must. And mostly its been a case of "it's not you, it's me". I was just never able to fully commit. I've been here and there, and then all of a sudden on the 13th January 2014, something changed. A love hate relationship ignited into mad passion. Who would have thought?

The new forever love of my life? Training. And today is the day after our first month-iversary. I think the first of many.

In this time I have learnt that:
:: I can push myself beyond levels I can comprehend.
:: Mountain climbers are not the devil.
:: 100 squats is just the start.
:: Actually, yes, I can complete exercises that I simply laughed off when watching the video.
:: I am incredibly uncoordinated. For realz, it's a problem.
:: This is a lifestyle change. Its not a quick, lose a few KG's plan. This is who and what I want to be.

//Side Note: After a vile, putrid day today (nothing to with cupid, or a lack thereof), I   completely hurled myself into a workout, rather than a bottomless glass of Absolut. I can comfortably say I do not think I saw that coming. 

As I said previously, I thought I knew what a workout was. I can do sit ups, squats and leg raises like a champion. I have even on more than one occasion made my treadmill cry. I can do chair dips, and bicep curls with my little 2kg weights. I am totally boss, come at me bro.

Needless to say my famously big mouth and I were breathless and speechless in the even more famous Yoga Corpse Position after workout one. I did not know how to get up, or if my legs were ever going to forgive for what I had just put them though.

I felt like these guys ( http://www.360training.co.za/ ) came along and pimp smacked me with a kettle bell. It was brutal, exhilarating and boundlessly rewarding.I just kept going ever since.

I thought I had a psycho sadist for a personal trainer back when I had one. My friend once said: "My personal trainer is the devil. I'm lucky though because I think she likes me." This is exactly how I think of my old whip cracker. However I've come to realise its mostly all me. I'm the driver. She was more like a GPS. Maybe my desire is different, I don't know, maybe I just tell myself to suck it up and finish the damn set.


There is an unmistakable, sense of pride, and I'm not quite sure what that comes with each workout. With each completed set even. No they aren't all easy or with perfect form. But you know what? I hit them as hard as i effing can.

For the next week I hope 'Mr Training" and I will get together 6 times. I am starting to crave that rush, the sweat, and the post workout fist pumps. My aim is to give myself completely to my training plan. No excuses, no turning of active rest days into rest days, no half jobs on the KB's. All or nothing.

Like with love, what is the point of going into it if you are going to hold back? 
So training, this is me hopelessly devoted to you. I hope you're ready.

4 comments:

  1. Love this new love affair of yours!! And very proud to have you part of the 360XBT family in the process! Excellent article...motivating, inspiring, candid...authentic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carl, and more specifically thank YOU for being the inspiration behind this. I am thrilled to have found something that motivates me, that I am actually making a part of my life. xxx

      Delete
  2. I am very proud of you everyday you at it even you sometimes look like you have to sleep there as you can't move, but must say I see improvement everyday and it looks easier for you as you get used to swinging that kettle ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mom, nothing like a mothers love and approval to get and keep you going! xxx

      Delete